I love beets. I love the deep magenta color. The earthy flavor. The sound of tiny roots crackling softly as I tug their bulbs from the soil.
Beets are one of the most versatile root vegetables for any season: they taste delicious in salads, smoothies and soups, or roasted in garlic and olive oil and served atop crunchy bread with a wedge of goat cheese. And they boast a wealth of health benefits including richness in potassium, immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and nitric oxide. Regular beet consumption will help bolster energy levels and improve digestion and blood circulation.
My beet, ginger and coconut milk soup is vaguely Southeast Asian in flavor and velvety in texture. The ginger packs a subtle spicy punch. It's simple to make for a quick weeknight meal. Enjoy with a side of buttered toast sprinkled with chives.
- 4 cups red beets, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2-3 pinches ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven or medium saucepan, sauté the onions in the canola oil for 3-5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes longer.
- Add the beets, turmeric, brown sugar and the salt and black pepper. Pour in enough of the vegetable stock to barely cover the ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Allow the mixture to simmer gently for 20-25 minutes, or until the beets can be easily pierced with a sharp knife.
- Run the soup through a blender to completely liquify the ingredients and eliminate small lumps.
- Transfer to a medium-sized bowl and stir in the coconut milk. Season to taste with more of the turmeric, brown sugar, or salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Garnish and serve cold.
If you make this recipe, hashtag a pic to #spiceandhutch and post to Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter. I'd love to see your culinary creations!